This week’s guest blog comes from Russ Rubin, Associate at Cambiar. Russ participated in CEB Market Insights (then known as the Market Research Executive Board) during his many years in Consumer Insights at General Mills.
As we have done twice over the last four years, we at Cambiar are turning to the CEB Market Insights membership to help us bring definition to the issues and challenges facing the Market Research industry. This year, we conducted over 40 in depth interviews with folks around the industry to make sure that our quantitative phase was focused on the most important topics.
Here’s some of what we found out and have built into our survey:
- There are more tools than ever and it’s not clear which are the right tools to use. Which tools offer the most promise?
- We don’t know who to turn to for best practices on how to use the new tools in conjunction with traditional tools. What’s the best way to find out what really works?
- The skill set may be different to succeed in the future in the MR industry. What traits and skills should we be looking for in our new hires?
- In some cases, corporate management isn’t certain about the organizational structure that will support all of this. Are new structures being implemented to any significant degree?
Of course, this is all layered on top of the same methodological topics we have been discussing for the past 4 years:
- Where does social media fit in and how do I effectively use it?
- I’ve got a lot of data at my fingertips, but is it Big Data? And what do I do with it?
These are some of the core questions we are addressing in the 2014 Future of Research Survey. We need your help in tracking these issues and helping to identify some of the solutions. If you participate, your name will be placed in a drawing for one of two iPads which will be awarded to two lucky respondents. Simply provide us with your name and email address to enter. Everyone will get a copy of our 2014 Future of Research summary report as well.
Thanks to each and every one of you for participating.
Access past years’ results: