Organizations are closely watching the rapid rise of the Millennial generation and recognize their growing influence in the marketplace. While brands and agencies may be aware of the power of this segment, most are still missing the mark when it comes to execution.
Brands are simply trying too hard; emphasizing hype and overextending in areas that are not in sync with their unique value set. Millennials sift through the marketing hype and engage with brands that don’t just complement, but add value to their current lifestyle. The question for marketers then becomes – so how can we win? You can succeed by addressing what Millennials want.
They search for brands that:
- Help Them Do Something – Act as a tool to enhance their lifestyle
- Positively Disrupt the Status Quo –Step out of the box, not simply for the sake of it
- Fold Into Their Lifestyle –Fit into their established lifestyle, don’t push a lifestyle upon them
- Encourage Participation –Provide forums for consumer contributions, without requiring it
- Engage instead of advertise – Talk with consumers instead of at them
- Feel authentic in Brand Identity – Know their brand values and stay true to them
When brands market with these unique values in mind to address real consumer needs, it becomes easier to not only truly satisfy demanding Millennials, but also transform them into powerful advocates.
CEB Iconoculture Consumer Insights’ is thrilled to announce our latest eBook, The Marketer’s Handbook, to help companies and agencies navigate this complex landscape. We also invite you to share our latest infographic highlighting the rapid rise of the Millennial generation and their shifting dynamics.