Most Transitions Struggle...Because They Follow the Wrong Approach
Leadership transitions are a high risk time in the life of every executive and organization. There is pressure for quick wins, the need to assess teams quickly, difficulties in gaining a cultural understanding, and unclear perceptions from business partners about their new role.
Some transitions fail spectacularly at a high cost to all involved. However, CEB research reveals that the majority actually struggle quietly – not failing outright, but experiencing significant and sustained disruption costs during an extended ramp period. The organization doesn’t see any real positive impacts during this time and the total cost can easily balloon into millions of dollars.
Most executives have the competence and experience to succeed in their new roles, but the challenge is much broader than the individual skillset. It can be difficult to achieve the results they are capable of if the broader organization isn’t fully aligned to support their transition. And when success does not come quickly, the executives themselves are usually saddled with the blame.
CEB Leadership Transition Support Presents a Better Way Forward
CEB Leadership Transition Support equips incoming executives and organizational stakeholders with a suite of proven tools, approaches, and support focused on rapid, structured transition diagnosis, decision-making, planning and communication through the transition:
- Leadership Transition Research and Best Practices – avoid the most common pitfalls specific to the transition
- CEB Transition Expert Advisors - navigate the transition period with objective third-party guidance, insight, and joint problem-solving
- Executive Peer Network – learn from other executives via forums and cohorts of peers navigating the same type of transition
- CEB Leadership Transition Diagnostics and Planning Tools – accelerate and improve the most critical diagnostic and planning work that successful new leaders conduct during their transition:
- "Leader-level" diagnostics and planning - structured understanding and informed navigation of the specific transition situations, the new organization's culture, and executive-specific leadership actions
- "Department-level" diagnostics and planning - diagnosing and rapidly forward planning the department's capabilities, alignment, cross functional support, and forward agenda
- "Direct Team-level" support - helping the legacy team to navigate and actively support a great transition (i.e. lower anexiety, take thoughtful action to help)
Note: CEB Leadership Transition Support is available as part of select CEB Leadership Council membership programs.
Leaving your organization? Enter your new contact information to stay connected with CEB.