Pill Head by Bryan Christie
Dear Communicators at Pharmaceutical Companies,
You are sitting on a gold mine of passive supporters.
Doctors, nurses, satisfied patients, professors, proud employees, communities that benefit from your social investments—you’ve got people who not only like your company, but rely on it to maintain their quality of life. What other industry can boast such a thing?
Your passive supporters are quiet, and that’s not helping you.
No matter how proud, happy, or grateful these stakeholders are, most aren’t saying anything about it. In fact, CEC research tells us that only 11% of favorable stakeholders are active (i.e., spreading the good word on your behalf). The remaining 89% are passive – favorable, yes, vocal, no. These passive supporters represent a real opportunity.
You can convert a passive supporter to an active one through an emotional connection to the company.
Fortunately, you can boost the ranks of your active supporters by creating opportunities for stakeholders to discover an emotional connection to your company. An emotional connection is indicated by
- a sense of shared values,
- a feeling of ownership for the company; and,
- a feeling of investment in the company.
Think about your current communications activities and messages. Are you providing opportunities for stakeholders to feel connected? Or are you just listing the benefits of your drug? I particularly like how Johnson and Johnson and GSK have created blogs that don’t even talk about their products. Instead the blogs are a place for stakeholders to follow or serendipitously stumble upon to read uplifting stories and informative pieces on health care and wellbeing generally.
You don’t need to fret over your company’s detractors.
Read More »